About The Wordstapas
The Wordstapas is a literary society formed of individuals who share an excitement for mythology, J.R.R. Tolkien, and the mythological tradition that influenced him. Members gather online to discuss myth, read poetry aloud, and share knowledge—all with the intention of deepening an appreciation for Tolkien and the world of mythology.
Common readings are assigned to all members and range from Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Irish myth, to poetry and the writings of Tolkien himself. Discussion focuses on the material at hand, but has an inclination to wander down through mythological themes and on into obscure revelations (the most famous so far being the commonality of apples).
There are plenty of fan clubs in the world but, for better or for worse, The Wordstapas is not one of them. Although members are naturally admirers of Tolkien, The Wordstapas is a society for those in whom Tolkien’s writings awoke a hunger for the greater world of mythology.
- Meetings run during the academic semesters: September-December (Fall) & January-May (Spring-ish). Specific dates are provided to members, or contact Nicole here.
- Membership costs $35 CAD per semester. Payment must be received before membership is accepted. Payments can be made via PayPal or e-transfer. Further instructions are provided upon registration.
- Fall members who wish to rejoin The Wordstapas for the spring semester may re-register for a discounted $25 CAD.
- Meetings are held online every other Tuesday evening at 7:00pm MT/MST via Google Meet. Specific dates are provided to members, or contact Nicole here.
- A forum, dedicated to discussion between meetings, is available for members. Use of it is encouraged, but not required.
- Club has a maximum of 10 members. First come, first served.
- Further possible questions are addressed in the FAQ.
- Members must have read The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings prior to joining the club.
- Members are not required to have read The Silmarillion, but it is highly encouraged that they do so, as it provides a deeper knowledge of Tolkien’s Middle-earth.
- Members must be at least 16 years of age.
- Members are required to read and agree to the Wordstapas Code of Conduct prior to registering.
Wordstapas is an amazing group of intelligent, witty and friendly people who share a common interest in and affection for mythology, history, poetry, prose, and of course J.R.R. Tolkien. I look forward to every meeting and always leave feeling like I have rifled through an ancient treasure hoard full of insights and revelations on all things obscure and interesting.Peter T.
If you enjoy crossing swords with the Valkyrie, travelling forgotten misty paths with lone explorers in tattered black cloaks, or improving your phonetic eloquence with Norse names, consider joining the Wordstapas. Revive the lost tradition of oral storytelling (and story-listening), trace the common threads shared by all mythologies and by Tolkien, and experience the excellent comradeship of your fellow nerds.A Wordstapa