Membership for The Wordstapas is currently full. If you would like to be put on a waiting list and be notified when a spot becomes available, click here.
The Wordstapas (OE “word-steppers”) is a literary society woven around a common excitement for the mythological writings that inspired J.R.R. Tolkien. Members read and discuss Anglo-Saxon, Norse, and Irish mythology, poetry, and works written by Tolkien himself. The Wordstapas endeavour to gradually revive the oral tradition, which was prominent for centuries but has deteriorated due to the availability of written texts, by reading selections of poetry and myth aloud.
The club meets monthly online to read and discuss selections of poetry and myth, all with the intention of deepening a knowledge and appreciation of ancient literature and history. Readings are discussed using the Socratic Method. These discussions, though primarily composed of individuals with more or less amateur knowledge, are nonetheless scholarly in flavour. Primary readings are chosen by Nicole, but these are by no means set in stone and members are free to suggest different or supplementary ones.
It is important to remember that this is a literary society, not a fan club. The object of reading and discussion is to develop a deeper appreciation for Tolkien and the literature that inspired him, rather than a place to enthuse about The Lord of the Rings. This is not a society for people who think Tolkien is cool, but for those for whom Tolkien’s writings awoke a hunger for the greater world of mythology.
Requirements for Members
- Members must have read both The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings prior to joining the club. Although members are not required to have read The Silmarillion or any real-world mythology, such knowledge is helpful.
- Members must be at least 16 years of age.
- Membership costs $20 CAD per term. Payment must be received before membership is accepted.
- Club runs during the academic terms (i.e. September—December & January—May). Members who wish to rejoin the club in the next term must re-register.
- Club has a maximum of 7 members. First come, first served.
- Members meet online once per month, but are encouraged to keep in contact between meetings.
I reserve the right to alter these requirements at any time.
If you have any questions, please contact Nicole here.